Popular Posts

Saturday 5 February 2011

Rockin' With Wanda Jackson!

Queen of Rockabilly. The First Lady of Rock & Roll. “The Sweet Lady With The Nasty Voice”. Inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 2009 [as an Early Influence]. Ladies and gentlemen, introducing Wanda Jackson.

In 1956 she won a talent contest in Oklahoma, had a 30 minute radio show, went on tour with Elvis. She released a cover of his song “Let’s Have A Party” and killed it on the teen scene. Elvis encouraged her to sing rockabilly which she fused with country to create her own signature style. Add to this her hand-made fringe dresses, high heels, guitar and a galvanized voice coated in candy = female pioneer in the evolution of popular music. Legend. Living legend.



In January 2011, Wanda Jackson (now in her 70s) released an album of covers produced by Jack White. This clip of Dylan's song "Thunder On The Mountain" is a- ROCKIN’. You just want to be right there in it with Wanda, Jack and The Third Man House Band. I do. [Loving the colour coordination of Wanda's mic with the band's pink and black threads. Slick]


Wanda on Jack White: He’s just so laid back and such a cool guy that I found myself wanting to please him, I wanted to do it his way.”



JESUS PUT A YODEL IN MY SOUL

I’ve never met nor heard a yodeler in my life. The closest thing I’ve come to a yodel is “The Sound of Music” and a drunk Canadian at a bar in Kitzbuhel.  But I love this song title and it’s one of Wanda Jackson’s most requested songs. It’s also included in her gospel cassette “Don’t Worry Be Happy” (1993). A yodel in your soul? Now ain’t that just the happiest, most carefree of things a soul could have?


You know I just wanted to include that song title - and this one:  
Tears Will Be a Chaser For Your Wine

Chasers and yodels aside.....


Wanda on gratitude:

I can’t think of anyone who could be any luckier or any happier than me. I think it’s a blessing from the Lord. I had wonderful parents who gave up so much so that I could have my dreams come true. I was an only child so I had all the love and attention that anyone could ask for. My mother made my stage clothes and a lot of my street clothes too. Dad traveled with me and drove me to all those early dates so I didn’t have to be alone. You couldn’t ask for more, to make your living doing what you love to do, to sing and travel and entertain people all your life. I can’t think of any life that could be better than that.”

And Wanda on attitude:

"I have a good reputation, always have had, and respect from everyone as a lady, and that pleases me very much. But the young girls think I’m this hard gal that gets her way and storms in. It’s just because of the material I’ve sung and the way I’ve sung it. And that’s okay. That’s cute.”

Taylor Momsen's stained old petticoats - take note from a rock and roll legend.




Wanda is having an amazing life and is still belting out sell-out concerts. That's endurance with grace. Catch her at The Bowery Ballroom, NYC 24 Feb 2011!

Wanda Jackson we love you.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for introducing me to Wanda Jackson - what an amazing woman! Hx

    ReplyDelete