Popular Posts

Sunday 10 January 2010

Weirdest pick-up line ever...

I posted this on MySpace in 09, closed off that site but this unusual moment still weirds me out.  Read on.


London Heathrow. Terminal 4. The 8.30 evening flight back to Sydney. My hand luggage is pulled aside and my Fortnum & Mason Champagne Marmalade is pulled out and can't go on the flight. It's suggested I buy a small jar from Boots and put some in there. I think not. I tell the Customs guy, "Give it to your mother. It's delicious". He consequently lets me through the First Class entrance. Moral: upgrade with jam.

We're told our plane will be 4 hours delayed. I potter around the shops finding 20 ways to spend my money. I buy new hand luggage and give the old one to the Zambian toilet cleaner. I am benevolent tonight. I buy a slow whisky in one place and kill time amongst noisy passengers. I find Russell Brand's new book with it's silly title "Bookie Wookie" and read the back cover, pages 34 and 75. Very funny man. I should've bought it and read the whole thing. I buy another, faster whisky in another place. A bottle of perfume. A trash mag. I am ready for the trip home.

Eventually the shops all close. It's 11pm. I head towards my gate. The sound of a guitar, a bongo drum and hand-clapping becomes louder. It's disrupting Von Sudenfed on my iThing. A Spanish Catholic group of singers are singing songs to God. They even have a conductor; a proud upright woman waving her arms in staccato movements. They are heading to Sydney for the Youth Group to meet the Pope and a million other "Catholic youths". They sing song after song until we board. I surrender and am actually grateful they break the fluorescent monotomy of a loveless, late night terminal with some light Catholic Idol entertainment. I feel like I'm sitting inside an Edward Hopper painting in whisky-fuelled Bukowski smugness.

I take my pre-travel sleeping tablet - a stronger one than usual which my busy Publisher friend gave me and promised it would see me through the long trip across the planet. I'm really thirsty, I need water, I press the Steward button, I am making a bit of a scene. Unintentionally. I kick myself for forgetting to buy the most crucial thing: a bottle of water. We're still on the ground. The tablet knocked me out before departure.

5 hours later, I wake up to feel a hand massage my head.

Am I dreaming!? That's just crazy. It can't be. That just doesn't happen. I am about to snooze back again and dismiss the moment when I feel fingers going through my hair. I turn around and this unexpectedly rather gorgeous BOY is giving me a poker expression. I give him a strange kind of glare. Normal people back-off when I pull out that glare.

I lean back against my pillow and his hand slowly comes through the seat to skin-polish my arm. How brazen!

"What are you DOING!!!" I whisper loudly with my face squashed tightly in between the chair and window.

"I want your email. I am from Belgium."




1 comment:

  1. I think the weirdest pick-up line I ever encountered was whilst rummaging through onions in Coles. "My - you're an efficient shopper." I am sure there are kookier ones but they escape me right now.

    ReplyDelete